As we hit the halfway mark in 2014, I already have a Top 10. It won’t stay that way. Likely at least ½ of these films won’t even be on my Top 20 by next Oscar time. But I thought it’d be worth to point out the best and worst of what’s come out so far. I decided to reflect on them with what’s the ONE thing I remember best about the film.
- The Grand Budapest Hotel – Quirkiness
- The Lego Movie – Awesome!!
- Captain American: The Winter Soldier – Comic Book Done Right
- 22 Jump Street – Sequel!!!!!
- Edge of Tomorrow – Again and Again and Again.
- Chef – Wish I ate ham.
- Chinese Puzzle – French Woody Allen
- How to Train Your Dragon 2 – Sentimentality
- Obvious Child – Jenny Slate
- X-Men: Days of Future Past – Quicksilver
Not Included: Life Itself – Steve James’ wonderful biopic on Robert Ebert hasn’t opened in theaters yet, but having seen it, it’ll make my Top 10 so far for sure.
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 – Unnecessary
- Godzilla – Too many monsters
- A Million Ways to Die in the West – Another fart joke?
Noah, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, Maleficent, Million Dollar Arm.
For all of them – meh. They were okay.
I expect big things from the next six months.
See you at the movies.
What’s your favorite movie released in 2014?
What’s your least favorite?