I don’t drink coffee.
But I surely need my caffeine fix like many others. So I have been drinking iced tea for a long time. Iced tea is easy to make, comes in various flavors, and, if unsweetened, usually has Zero calories. So I drink iced tea the way some people drink too much Diet Coke.
But which Iced Tea?
For years living in Livingston, NJ, I passed a Dunkin Donuts on the way to work and would drink their large black unsweetened iced tea with a lemon in it. When it was on sale for 99 cents, it was a great time…and a bit jittery.
Starbucks lagged behind, but they introduced their shaken iced tea. The problem? Their “venti” wasn’t that large. Until they introduced the “treinta.” Now we have potential competition. But Dunkin Donuts was more convenient.
Then I moved to California. There are currently no Dunkin Donuts in California. Starbucks therefore moved up in the convenience department especially with one across the street from my house. Adding the iPhone app made it easy – and I got FREE refills and free drinks from the app. (Potential jittery)
Now I am in New York City. The Starbucks and the Dunkin Donuts are across the street from each other. They each have their merits in other areas, but which Iced Tea was best.
So we set up a taste test…
Post-Simchat Torah morning services at a clergy lunch
- Rabbi Mark Kaiserman – Ice Tea fanatic
- Rabbi Elizabeth Wood – Likes Iced Tea
- Cantor Cary Schwartz – Prefers Iced Coffee
Unsweetened Black Iced Tea from 3 locales
- Dunkin Donuts
- Homemade Ice Tea
Without knowing the source, we each compared the 3 teas and ranked them 1-3.
- When is the next Dunkin Donuts 99 cent sale?
- The Dunkin Donut app offers no free drinks or free refills.
- Tea at home is pretty much free
- Tea at home means a whole pitcher of tea – which I drink too much of (jittery)
- I am not always at home when I want iced tea
- Did not compare green tea or sweet tea or other such things
- Starbucks used to have better food. And they have healthier food. But they changed all their sandwiches recently and almost all of them have pork now.
- Starbucks has good pastries
- Dunkin Donuts has better food options in general, but I doubt any are healthy. They are a DONUT place.
- My house has lousy food options.
- A similar, more expansive, online comparison came in as basically a draw – but they didn’t compare TASTE
2 of us chose Dunkin Donuts as the best. It came in 2nd on the other ballot.
The final rankings:
- Dunkin Donuts
For those of you in California, Dunkin Donuts is coming in 2015.
What do you think? Declare your Iced Tea preferences in the comments.