One of the joys of the movies is ignorance. Sometimes the less you know the better off you are. So this is a spoiler free (I hope) review of Argo. I won’t even use one of the great lines of the film that fits well into a blog just out of consideration for you.
Here’s 7 things to know (since there are 7 key people in…oh I say too much):
1. It’s based on a true story. But stop learning about the story and go in with a little knowledge as possible.
2. The 70s were full of drinking, chain smoking, ugly cars, big lapels, poor means of reaching people by phone, and grainy footage – all wonderfully recreated for the film.
3. Ben Affleck is not a stupendous director. But he makes eminently watchable, enjoyable, and tense films (Gone Baby Gone, The Town, and this).
4. This was the best film I have seen so far in 2012 and is a lock for a Best Picture nomination. It might even win.
5. Alan Arkin is ridiculously great in this.
6. John Goodman and Bryan Cranston are pretty excellent too. But not Arkin-good.
7. The film is tense ALL THE TIME.
Go see it. It is fun, enjoyable, dramatic, original, and well-worth it. Plus there is a deluge of seemingly great films coming. Get a jump on it and go see Argo ahead of the rest.